Jephthah Bowoto better known as Akpororo is a Nigerian stand-up comedian. Though, a native of Ilaje in Ondo State, the comedian and actor grew up in Warri, Delta State. He relocated to Lagos in 2009 to hone his skill in comedy.

After participating in the National Comedy Challenge organised by Opa Williams, AY’s Open Mic Challenge, he was discovered by Basketmouth and featured in his Laff and Jam show, where he rose to fame.

In this interview with Nigerian Tribune, he shared some revealing thoughts about his career and inspirations including how mad men inspire him as a comedian.

Read Excerpts:

What year did you commence your career in the comedy industry?

Professionally, I started between 2010 and 2011.

Before that time, did you know you were going to be a comedian? Was it something you were doing as a young person?

As a young person, I was funny. Not that I was doing comedy, but people laugh because of the way I talk. So, when I decided to take it up professionally, I knew I will be successful. But I didn’t know I will go this far. I didn’t even think comedy will make me this big.

It’s been about seven years since you started and you have become one of Nigeria’s most sought-after comedians. What would you have to say about that?

I want to thank God for that first. Now, I have my own platform, which is Akpororo Vs Akpororo. I am happy with what God has given me: my family, the experiences. I thank God for His grace upon my life.

In the comedy industry, people have their own niche. Some comedians dance, some sing and some combine talking, dancing and singing. You do not only combine everything, you also have this crazy person’s persona. What inspired it?

It is my own style. I figured that if you are coming into the industry you need to bring something new. Like you said, some comedians sing, dance and even act drunk. I know I can dance and sing, but I wanted to stand out, so I introduced something. People talk about mad people a lot in jokes, but I decided to act it out. It is my strategy and I want to thank God for what He has done.

But where did you pick it up?

I watch mad men. I observe them a lot.

 

The post How Mad Men Play A Major Part In Comedian Akpororo’s Career appeared first on Nigerian Celebrity News + Latest Entertainment News.



from Nigerian Celebrity News + Latest Entertainment News http://ift.tt/2rcN9RG
via IFTTT

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.